Monday 5 November 2012

OMG! How good are some beginners!

I made the mistake of lookingat beginner videos on Melodeon.net. Every one was "I'be been playing 6 days/ 29 days/ 7 weeks/ etc, this is my first attempt" - all of them were amazing. I kept thinking that the next one would be the same sort of thing as my slow 'hunting the right key' attempts - but no.

Oh well, I've told myself that they are all experienced musicians who can play about 3 other instruments - I don't care if it's true or not (it definitely is in some cases). I'm determined to learn to play - I can't undermine my progress by comparing myself with others. Everyone learns at their own speed.

OK, so what HAVE I made progress on? It seems slow, but I find it hard to remember that I have been doing this for just one week. I have arranged to join the beginners 'melodeon playday' in Evesham in 3 weeks time. I'm really looking forward to it, but I have to accept that almost everyone else will be more experienced. I am sometimes able to make it through 'Donkey Riding' without a mistake (right hand end only - but this is important, it's the set tune for the group) - but I've actually only been learning it for about 3 or 4 days - so not too horrendous. I can usually make it through 'Daddy Long Les' version of "Twinkle Twinkle" without a mistake, and today I've started to look at the 'left hand end' the bass keys (the idea of combining the two together is a bit of a way away). I've started to have a go at thing like "Speed the plough" and "Winster Gallop".  I think I need to learn to play "Over the hills and far away" to counter the 'funny' comments of my family!

Some of the tunes I can only get part of the way through - if I don't already know the tune then it's difficult for me to make a stab at it, as I don't read music. However, I'm starting to recognise what buttons I need to press for G, A, B, C, D, E at least for the G row when I've got the music in front of me - I can sort of work out which are the other buttons by deciding if I need to go up or down from there. The D row is harder - I need to look at a chart to decide which button to start on, after that I can 'hear' if I've gone wrong - a start I suppose, better than it might be.

I suppose I should make a video and post it, just as a reference for the future. So often you think that you aren't making progress - a new video every month or so would be a good idea, but what to start with?

5 comments:

  1. We were all there once... I certainly recognise what you're saying. With me it was concertina, but same story.
    Making a video might be good - you don't need to publish it, just keep it for yourself to look at in a couple of months time.
    Just keep plugging away. You WILL get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am planning to make a video. I suppose I ought to get around to it this weekend.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I do feel I am making progress, but there is so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have my first video of me playing on youtube. Its pretty well....excruciating but I think it needs to be there for beginners like yourself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL2Y3aFWfOM
    See I had airbutton problems too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, thank you. I have looked at your first video - it's quite encouraging to compare this with your later videos. I don't want to become a virtuoso - I know that is impossible. However, I realised last weekend at the 'playday' that I really want to be able to just turn up at a session and join in - without feeling like I don't know what I'm doing.

    I really enjoyed last weekend - and I've already noticed improvements. I'm starting to remember short sections of tunes, and once in a while I'm able to get through a few bars without the music - sometimes for a very short time my fingers actually know where they should go, and I don't. I can touch type, and I really don't think about what I'm typing while I'm doing it - I hope that one day the same will happen with the melodeon playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when you 'just turn up at a session and join in - without feeling like I don't know what I'm doing.' you'll get bored. ;) You have to have a little bit of a a 'what?' moment to keep it exciting. lol! The challenge is where the fun is.

      Delete