Saturday 10 November 2012

Slow Progress

Since I've booked to go to the "Melodeon Playday" in two weeks time I need to be able to play "Donkey Riding" with at least the right hand end (I really can't get my head around the left hand end for that yet).

I've been trying to get a couple of short practice sessions in each day. Work days I get the melodeon out when I get home for a little while, then have another go later in the evening. Weekends I can usually add another session in the morning - but not too early as I have adult sons who think that getting up before about 10 or 11 at the weekend is unacceptable.

I'm not someone who likes to work a the same tune over and over again, so I've got a couple of books and some printed sheets and I work through a number of tunes, then have another go at the ones I need to be learning. I find that there are some tunes that I can get right the way through, and others that I come to a standstill about half way through, where I can't quite work out what should be happening next. So, I put the music aside and have another go later - I might get a bit further next time, or at least the first bit might flow a bit less jerkily. Part of the problem is that, not reading music, I have no idea if the tune that I am 'playing' sounds anything like it should - I keep having to go back to the Internet to find tunes and find out what they should sound like. Usually I know them, but I had no idea of what they are called.

I've ordered, and received, Ed Rennie's Melodeon Tutor, which has a CD and DVD to help - but I've just discovered that my computer can't play DVDs - so that will have to be fixed before I can watch any of the DVD.

I am making some progress, slow, not so steady, but quite satisfying when I can get through a whole tune with only a few mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment